RegisterLog In

Can claim OT?

HP Koey
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:59:38 PM  (Last updated: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 02:45:37 PM)

Hi, this is my 1st posting here. I'm a fresh graduate currently working in a medium audit firm with salary of RM1700 one month. My working hour is from 8.30am - 5-30pm. But i never been able to go back on time. We always worked overtime till 9pm or 10pm. Today is the worse, till 11++pm! I asked my senior, why we can't claim for OT? he just reply because we work very slow therefore no OT can be claimed! But this is very unfair because the workload is too much. We went outside to audit and need go back company to do paperwork and etc. I wanted to ask, can we claim for OT? what should i do? This is my first job, and i feel very helpless.

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 02:45:37 PM

The Employment Act only covers non manual workers with salary not more than RM1500. Since you are not covered by that Act, you may have to discuss overtime payment in your case. Since you are new to the job market, you will surprised in the private sectors, working long hours without extra pay seems to be quite common, sort of work culture. You may face the same situation wherever you work. So, try the best to gain enough experience to move on. If you really want 9 to 5 job, why not give the Government service a thought?

This topic is closed