RegisterLog In

Doubtful of Employment Act

Jackson  
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:00:15 AM  (Last updated: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 02:53:48 PM)

Dear Mr Siew,

Is the Employment Act covers those who earn more than RM5,000 per month? Thank you

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:53:32 AM

No, it does not cover. Please read Section 69B of the Act for more info.

Jackson
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:00:48 AM

Dear Mr Siew,

If that is the case what happen if those under this bracket (earn more than Rm5,000) who was unfairly treated by their employers in the course of work. How do they they seek redress? Say if they are wrongly dismissed by their employers they cannot seek redress or can they seek the Labour / IRdepartment's help? Pls advise thanks.

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:05:17 AM

Then they can approach the IR department for advice.

Jackson
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:34:52 AM

If a staff normal working hour is 9am to 5pm had informed the superior that she needed to bring her child to see doctor only came into office at 1.00pm can the company force her to take leave? Thanks

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:38:18 PM

In my opinion, when you have many employees, you simply can't efford to allow her to do that. Otherwise things can go out of hand pretty soon. If you allow one to do that you may have to allow others to do that also.

Jackson
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:49:46 PM

So under the Law the company can ask her to submit her leave or deduct her leave even though she had clocked in at 1pm and clocked out at say 6.30pm?

Question2:

If a sales staff clock in at 9am but did not clock out in the afternoon can the company take action against him? Thanks

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 02:27:11 PM

To me, discipline is very important. Employees cannot simply check in and check out as when they like. Employers have to regulate them and have clear policy on how to deal with such matters. In your case if the company regulations say that they have to take leave or leave will be deducted, do it accordingly. Similarly, if clock in and clock out is a must, then not clocking out is against the rule, isn't it?

Jackson
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 02:53:48 PM

Dear Mr Siew,

Refer to my question that day on Employment Act Section 69B "Notwithstanding the provision of this act, the powers of the Director General under Section 69(1) (a) shall extend to employees whose wages per month exceed 1,500 ringgit but does not exceed 5,000 ringgit" But this section is under the heading of "additional powers of Director General to inquire onto complaints" The staff can still refer their right under Employment act even though they earn more than 5000?

Correct me if I

This topic is closed