RegisterLog In

Resignation and testimonial (URGENT)

Vivian
Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:26:31 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 01:28:56 PM)

I had tendered my resignation letter at 12 April 2010, giving a clear month notice where my last day would be fall on 12 May 2010. Yet, the Company straight away cancel my outstation job to China which fall between 18-30 April 2010, and claiming me that i am irresponsible and why not give them know earlier when i want to resign.

Firstly, I want to ask for opinion for the following:

• Am i responsible to inform the Company when i want to resign even though i am not sure?  

As far as i know, it is employee to right to give resignation letter at anytime as long as it follows employment contract as well as Malaysian Labour Law.

Secondly, as i will need to obtain a testimonial from the Company to apply fo professional body membership later, i am very worry that the Company will include such clause that i am a irresponsible staff in the testimonial or the Company do not want to give me testimonial. Please advise whether do i have any right on getting a testimonial?

Thirdly, i feel like my reputation is being insulted by those management level of the Company by claiming me that i am a bit irresponsible. What can i do on that?

Last but not least, now the whole company know i want to resign due to the cancellation of outstation job. I want to know is it company have right to spread my resignation news to everyone?

Thank you.

Damien Siew
Administrator
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 04:20:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Of course, you are not required to inform your company that you intend to resign if you are not sure or have not signed the offer letter with your new employer.

And since your notice period is 1 month only, you have done the right thing. Your company should not hold it against you.

However, I don't think there is anything illegal about what your company is doing. Your employer is entitled to their own opinions and views. So, sometimes it's better not to "burn your bridges" because you won't know who can help you in the future. But again, you have done nothing wrong, just wrong timing with the wrong people.

Sorry, won't be able to help you much here.

Vivian
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:46:56 AM

Damien,

Thanks for the reply. i appreciate it very much.

I am looking forward to leave the company as peaceful as possible.

Now i realised preparation for resignation (which is never taught during school time) is as important as preparation for interview.

Vivian
Sat, 17 Apr 2010 07:03:17 PM

Sorry cause i got another question here.

After my situation above, it seems like i had been put aside to perform any job in the company. At such, i am unable to charge my time cost. As in our company, we need to charge time cost on the client that we perform job. Thus, i plan to take unpaid leave to leave the company earlier. My contract stated that the staff only can leave the company after 30 April, i tendered letter at 12 April giving one clear month notice, the last day at 12 May:

1. Can i take unpaid leave after 30 April?
  2. If i take unpaid leave, does it means that i give short notice automatically? Do i need to give another letter to inform regarding the short notice?
  3. If i take unpaid leave for 8 working days (3-7, 10-12 May), the company will deduct my salary for 8 or 12 days (including weekends)?

Thank you again...

Damien Siew
Administrator
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:17:22 PM

Since your company is taking you off all jobs, you can try to talk to your boss or HR and let them know you want to leave earlier.

Yes, if you want to leave earlier, your company will most likely deduct your salary for the 12 days. You shouldn't need to give another letter.

It's really up to you.

Vivian
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 01:28:56 PM

Thank you very much!

This topic is closed