RegisterLog In

Re: Manual Worker

GENE  
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 03:15:17 PM  (Last updated: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:24:16 AM)

May i know the definition of 'Manual Worker'?

Is it Quality Control is categorised as Manual Worker?

CK Kong
Contributor
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 03:49:08 PM

Manual work is physical work done with the hands, especially in an unskilled job such as fruit and vegetable picking, road building, or any other field where the work may be considered physically arduous, and which has a profitable objective, usually the production of goods.

Not sure. Does it lead to discrimination at work?

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 04:15:17 PM

Gene, let me be more specific. Since you wanted to know the definition, you can get it at

http://pesaraonline.net/1stschedule.htm The part pertaining to manual labour is as follow:

"2. Any person who, irrespective of the amount of wages he earns in a month, has entered into a contract of service with an employer in pursuance of which

(1) he is engaged in manual labour including such labour as an artisan or apprentice;

Provided that where a person is employed by one employer p

steve
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 04:43:52 PM

manual worker is physical work done with the hands

so how about the work done by computer /brain. what we call that?

GENE
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 04:52:06 PM

Actually my case is i can claim the O.T RM8/hrs from 6~8pm but 5~6pm is not entitled to claim the O.T. But production worker can claim X1.5 basic salary. Is it company have the right to this kind of unfair O.T rate?

Me under Quality Control Department. The HR explaination is my job is categorised as Non-manual Worker.

Is it correct?

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 05:06:32 PM

To Gene. That's why I said "arguable". What you can do is to get a ruling from the Labour Department. Let them know all the facts about your work.

To Steve. That may be a bit over simplified. A surgeon uses hands, a butcher also uses hands. But you can't say the surgeon is a manual worker. You type at a computer with your hands but what you typed into it required your knowledge rather than with just your fingers.

gene
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 05:50:59 PM

Hi Siew,

Thanks for your explaination.

But the question is surgeon can't do the butcher job, butcher also can't do the surgeon job. Both have their own knowlegde. Whether we can say butcher is non-manual worker? Butcher cut the meat with hands but how to cut the meat nicely required butcher knowledge/experience rather than with just butcher finger.

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 08:42:00 PM

True, he can be a highly skilled master butcher and we may not want to say he is just a manual worker. All this bases on facts and can be quite controversial.

CK Kong
Contributor
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 10:44:42 PM

Perhaps the term "manual worker" shall not include professionals who require a specific licence or membership of a professional association in order to practise his/her work. Therefore, professionals such as doctor, lawyer and accountant can only open a partnership "firm", but not a commercial private or public "Limited Company".

Blue collar and white collar are more commonly used to differentiate manual worker and so-called brain worker in the commercial companies.

steve
Thu, 06 Aug 2009 09:05:39 AM

hi siew,

can you let me know the nearest Labour Department at JB?

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:24:16 AM

Try http://pesaraonline.net/tel-departments.htm

This topic is closed