RegisterLog In

H1N1 leave and Medical Claim

Goh  
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:25:11 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:53:57 AM)

Our company didnt appoint any panel Doctors but we did reimburse staffs medical claim based on their receipts, the bill normally about RM30.00 ~ RM50.00 per visit. Recently one of our newly confirmed staff insist to visit ONLY 5-star private hospital instead of private clinics or Government Hospitals; the medical bill per visit is more then RM160.00 per visit for normal flu or fever or etc. I contacted the Labor Dept of Malaysia and was been told the company can only reimburse the Consultation fee; medicine should be bear by employee since there is no black and white stated in the employment Act, I would like to know is it true?

Secondly, if a staff insists to travel to H1N1 affected countries level-6 for personal purpose, and she/he ask to stay at home for 7 days after return to Malaysia. In this case, can company instruct them to apply for unpaid leave if they have finished their annual leave?

Thanking you in advance for your prompt reply.

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:52:49 PM

Section 60F of the Employment Act as quoted below is about sick leave. Note the words "..after examination at the expense of the employer..", it is about examination fee. In our country, most private doctors does not separate examination fee and cost of medicine. They lump all together. For those who go to 5-star hospitals, consultation fee and cost of medicine may be separately billed. As such you may be able to something about it as advised by the Labour Department. Again, the Employment Act only covers e

Goh
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 03:54:53 PM

Dear KL Siew,

Thank you very much for your valuable advice.

KS
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:53:57 AM

Dear KL Siew,

I have questions on the medical fees, my company has set a maximum medical fees of Rm100 during probation period (3 months) and maximum Rm300 per year for the confirm staff..

Is this clauses valid?

Please advise.

KS

This topic is closed