RegisterLog In

New employer try to get away from compensation

Zee
Thu, 21 May 2020 09:16:57 PM  (Last updated: Sun, 24 May 2020 09:29:50 PM)
I have quit my last job before the COVID 19 pandemic and served my notice until mid April with my last employer. I have an new job offer and I supposed to work by 4 May. This new job offer letter was confirmed and I signed on 6 April.However, the new employer contacted me on 30 April and mentioned their hiring is on freeze and they would like to delay my join date to 1 June. And, they cannot promise if the hiring will still be on freeze in June. However, I didnt sign the revised contract. And yesterday, they sent me another revised contract to defer my join date again - 29 June. Based on the contract that I signed, the employer have to pay the compensation for the termination fee. I have copied the term from contract here:Your employment with (employer) may be terminated with or without cause either by you or (employer), giving 60 days notice or pay in lieu of notice. I would need advice on this. Am i protected by the contract and human resources law as I only got the delayed join date request from the employer by 1 working day before my actual start date. And now they requested me to sign the updated offer letter with a delayed start date - which i suspect they just want to avoid the termination and the compensation because they have called and texted me to find other job on my end. Thanks so much for your advise.
KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 22 May 2020 11:12:40 AM

Since you have not commenced employment, I an not sure whether the 60 days notice period or indemnity in lieu isapplicable to you or not.  However, give a call to the Labour Department and discuss the matter with the officer there see what's his opinion.

Irwin
Sun, 24 May 2020 09:29:50 PM
The new company delay your date joined due to their business are affected by COVID-19 and that is why they delay your join date. Most of the companies are affected by COVID-19 pandemic. For me better don’t claim from them due to they did pre-informed you and you also don’t want to create a bad impression with new company. Always think win –win situation. With your current company, try to discuss with you current boss see can he extend your last working day by 1-2 months before you start new company.