RegisterLog In

Probation Period Extended and Salary Reduction

Hardworking and Unlucky Girl
Tue, 31 Mar 2020 01:13:56 AM  (Last updated: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:08:36 AM)

Dear Mylabourlaw, 

I would like to seek for your advice on the matter below.

I started to join the company on 14 Oct 2019 and serve for 6 months probation period. In the 6 months, I actually get some positive feedback regarding on my job performance from my superior and my colleague as well. Even management also verbally told my superior is fine to confirm me. Based on my confirmation, I supposed to have a performance review neither extend my probation period nor confirmed my position. However, due to Covid19, company forced to lockdown and i get some bad news during MCO. 

The reply from management is :

1. Management need to extend my probation till end of July which i actually need to have a review on 14 Mar.
  2. Management verbally told my superior that I am not good and experience to lead the team and i supposed not to get the pay which i currently being paid. Just for your info, i am a senior marketing executive and got a guy whom work for the company for more than 3 years and having the same title as me. Besides, my superior wish to confirm my position earlier in end of Dec but being rejected because my offer letter stated 6 months probation period. However, due to my work performance is better than another senior marketing executive, so my superior decided to send an email to company staff and mention that I will be the MARKETING LEADER for the team but he still will be the HOD in this department. With the unofficially announcement and no confirmation sign from me, is it consider I am a manager for the team? Because management judge that Im not good enough because of weak leadership skill.
  3. On April onwards, company will adjust my salary from RM4800 to RM3800 due to my current pay not align with those jobs i did. So they decided to reduce my pay until July. Management will only confirm my position on July and might adjust my pay bak to RM4800, depends on the company financial. If they can't afford, they will remain RM3800, remain my title but doing marketing manager job.

I feel so upset and disappointed with the outcome.  I really really feel unfair for me. Can you please advice what should I do for my next step? 

Thank you and I wish to get your reply soon. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:08:36 AM

Soory, I really can't give you any useful advice. During this period of MCO, you will not be able to move at all. You cannot go to the Labour Department (your are not covered by the Employment Act as your salary is above RM2000), you cannot go and consult a lawyer, you can't even look for another job now. You may have to bear with it for the time being. You could be lucky to be able to receive the RM3800 during the lock-down period. Wait after July and see what happens. Hope you are not offended by my views.

This topic is closed