RegisterLog In

Salary in US dollar

Frank
Fri, 20 Mar 2020 10:55:05 AM  (Last updated: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 11:42:02 AM)

Hi,

I am a foreign expatriate working in Malaysia for several years.
As such, my base/contract salary has always been in USD. Every month a payment in MYR would be made based on the average exchange rate for the last 30 days.

After a few years, a one-sided decision by my employer was made that for "efficiency sake" a fixed exchange rate would be determined, so this monthly conversion wouldn't be necessary any longer. At that time, this conversion rate was accurate and reasonable.

However, over time the MYR has lost a lot of value and therefore I've been disadvantaged for a long time. I've made several requests for adjustment over 1-2 years, but this has always been denied. As the MYR now is drastically losing value, I feel I need to take action to recover duly earned salary never paid to me.

My question: do I have the right to reclaim these monies? I feel it's not legal that my company one-sidedly decided to invent an arbitrary conversion rate which is clearly disadvantegeous for me.

Thanks for your help.

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 20 Mar 2020 01:32:07 PM

Ya, it's true, you lose with the USD value goes up and up against the ringgit. You need to renegotiate the exchange rate with the company. What about other expats in your company, what do they say about their salary?

Frank
Sat, 21 Mar 2020 10:46:50 AM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Fri, 20 Mar 2020 01:32:07 PM

Ya, it's true, you lose with the USD value goes up and up against the ringgit. You need to renegotiate the exchange rate with the company. What about other expats in your company, what do they say about their salary?

Hi KL Siew,

Thanks for your reply, but it's unfortunately not an answer to my question.
I know I lose in this situation and that's the reason I am exploring the legality of fixing salary at an arbitrary rate. Do you have knowledge about that, or can you tell me where I can look this up? Presumably there's law articles for this.

Thanks.

KL Siew
Administrator
Sat, 21 Mar 2020 11:42:02 AM

I really don't know.