RegisterLog In

Meeting after working hours

Jay
Sat, 18 Jan 2020 12:08:06 AM  (Last updated: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 09:12:43 PM)
Hi, I am a manager on a one-year contract employment and salary exceeded RM2000/mth. Client has informed there is a meeting coming up "from evening until night" (weekday). Can I refuse to attend and can the employer force us to attend? Is there any authority I can report to in the event the employer force me to?Also like to know if Employment Act covers blue collar, what will cover the white collar. Appreciate your reply. Thanks.
KL Siew
Administrator
Sat, 18 Jan 2020 01:46:54 PM

You are not covered by the Employment Act and I think you may have to use your own discretion. Can't really think of any venue where you can bring such a matter to.

ShzwnyShahdan
Wed, 22 Jan 2020 09:12:43 PM

Hye Jay,

Failure to comply any instruction given by the employer may amount to a serious miconduct i.e insubordination .

In you circumstances, if the instruction to attend the meeting is from your superior, it is advisable for you to obey the instruction.

Be that as it may, if the instruction given is outside from you job scope/functions and/or contract of employment, you may then raise it formerly in writing to the HR department seeking for their justification.

It is not advisable for you to simply disobey or disregard the instruction as the employer may take any disciplinary action against you. 

Kindly do not hesitate contact me for any further queries (ninenasya@hotmail.com).