RegisterLog In

Employer's Amendment on Notice Period & Termination

TT
Sat, 09 Nov 2019 02:47:33 PM  (Last updated: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 08:49:55 AM)

I am a teacher in a private international school who gets paid even during school holidays. We are not entitled to any annual leaves. Just last week, we have been asked to sign a letter on these new amendments.

The 2 parts that concerns me is:
(A) " If you wish to resign your employment with the Company, you are required to serve a full notice period in which school holiday (s) / term break (s) / annual leave (s) (not applicable to our case since we do not have annual leaves) must NOT be treated as part of the notice period and cannot be automatically offset against the resignation notice period "
My concern: In regards to this, if we were to resign in the month of November, we will need to serve 1 month notice period but since December is a school holiday. This means our service is not needed which gives the company the right to pay us up to November only OR ask us to serve 1 more month in January. This clause also means that if we resign in a particular month where the next month has any school holidays, those cannot be counted and we need to serve a full working month. Since we do not have annual leaves, I feel short changed in this manner.

(B) " In addition, the Company retains the right to terminate your employment immediately without serving the required notice or compensation in the event of any serious misconduct."

My concern: As I know any form of terminations would require the employee to be served 3x warning letter beforehand to allow for correctional behaviour? This was what was practised from my previous company.

Could someone advise whether this new amendment is legally right?

Thanks.

KL Siew
Administrator
Sun, 10 Nov 2019 08:49:55 AM

If you think the new terms and conditions are not favourable, just don't sign it. Negotiate with them.

This topic is closed