RegisterLog In

Fixed temporary Contract

Vickie YCP
Wed, 09 Oct 2019 11:56:51 PM  (Last updated: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 08:52:57 AM)

My name is Mdm Yap, I am working as a teacher in a Private and International School.  Actually I have signed a temporary contract which ended on 30th November 2019.  During the interview, HR personnel told me that once the probation (3 months) period over, I would be confirmed as permanent teacher which I was confirmed in April with a small increased on my salary.  She did not mentioned anything of terminating the contract  but saying that I would continued.

I even had inquired, if we were to continue with the company, will we be paid for December, she answered with a yes unless we leave early by resigning.

In 30th September 2019, I was called up by HR and she terminated my contract with my Principal being a witness.  I asked what is the reason of terminating the contract, HR said that because the contract I signed mentioned it is from 27th Dec 2018 to 30th Nov 2019, a contract is a contract, have to end  My principal mentioned that I am too old for the job.  At the moment I am 58 years old.  If I am old for the job why they hired me in the first place.  I have never took medical leave from day 27th December 2018 to 30th September 2019 and was never late, no parents complained, my teaching job was perfect even though this is my first year in a big school.  There are other teachers which signed the same contract but they were not axed.

What I do not understand is, how come they still published in job streets looking for new teachers for the same subjects.  I wanted to find out, can they do that?  I have a cleaned record, even I got the highest marks for observation by HOS (Head of subject) and I am terminated.

Just my opinion - Is there a conspiracy among the private international school? and does our Ministry of Education know about this.  Taking us teacher as a fool and exploiting our services and not paying us the year end salary and bonuses.

Can the authority be make aware?

Thank you and looking forward to hear from you.

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 10 Oct 2019 08:52:57 AM

Under section 11 the Employment Act, a contract of service for a fixed period ends on the expiry of the contract.

"11. (1) A contract of service for a specified period of time or for the performance of a specified piece of work shall, unless otherwise terminated in accordance with this Part, terminate when the period of time for which such contract was made has expired or when the piece of work specified in such contract has been completed. "

With your teaching experience, I am sure you can easily get employed in other schools.