RegisterLog In

Regarding Medical/Sick Leave & Hospitalisation Leave

Jxxxy
Mon, 07 Oct 2019 05:10:52 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 12:37:02 PM)

Dear KL Siew,

I have a query need your help,

Noted that under Employment Act 1955 Section 60F,

(aa) Where no hospitalisation is necessary:

(i) of fourteen days in the aggregate in each calendar year if the employee has been employed for less than two years;

(ii) of eighteen days in the aggregate in each calendar year if the employee has been employed for two years or more but less than five years;

(iii) of twenty-two days in the aggregate in each calendar year if the employee has been employed for five years or more; or

(bb) of sixty days in the aggregate in each calendar year if hospitalisation is necessary, as may be certified by such registered medical practitioner or medical officer:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My query is, is this only applies for employee salary RM2k and below? How about those salary above RM2k?

What if the company handbook stated as below, 

Employees are entitled to sick leave with the medical leave certified by a medical practitioner. Such Sick Leave shall not exceed in aggregate:

i) 14 days a calendar year if no hospitalization is necessary.
ii) Or, 60 days a calendar year if hospitalization is necessary.

Which one to follow?

Employee salary below RM2k - follow 60F and Employee salary above RM2k follow employee handbook?

Please advise.

Many thanks :)

Best Regards,

Jxxxy

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 08 Oct 2019 12:37:02 PM

It looks like those with salary above 2K are not getting a deal as good as those covered by the Employment Act. There is no mention of sick leave entitlement for those with longer service, more then 2 years or 5 years service. Should go and seek clarification from the HR department.