RegisterLog In

Lateness

Nana
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 03:57:02 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 10:12:27 PM)

Hi,

One of my staff now showing bad attendance which is he coming late to office. His superior call him and he never answer. Can i just issue first warning letter withour isse show cause letter? because before this i already inform him verbally and thru whatsapp.

thanks in advance.

bosco50050
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 10:12:27 PM

Nana,

Warning letters, show cause letters, etc. are tools in a HR practitioner's toolbox to help manage the work culture in the workplace.

I notice you said you informed him verbally and thru WhatsApp but did you talk to him and find out why he was coming in late. I had an office boy who started coming in late. On inquiring why he told me he had a problem sleeping at night and as such got up late in the morning. I suggest some solutions (I'm cutting a long story short). Over time we managed to get his punctuality to 99%. Another case the staff would get up early but would dilly dally until he would be late coming in to work. I helped draw a time chart for morning chores/tasks and outlined the things so that he could leave his house on time to reach work on time.

What I am saying try to find out the root of the problem before issuing the show cause and warning letters. In extreme cases, if need be we will have to use them to fix the problem.

Try to find out why he did not answer superior. bring all the documentation ( punch card, timesheet, etc.) to show him days of late coming. Ascertain what's going on before going down the road of show cause letter, warning letters, etc. 

This topic is closed