RegisterLog In

HR IR Meeting

Mailer
Tue, 16 Jul 2019 08:42:49 PM  (Last updated: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 08:47:04 PM)

First of all thank you for attending to my question

HR IR rasked to meet up to show me evidence collected by my manager on mistakes made in my reports from end of last year until recently

No showcause letter was given but I was requested to write an e-mail to answer to these mistakes

It was communicated in last year's appraisal I need to improve my reporting accuracy but both aprties agreed coaching will be given to improve

I was expecting all the e-mails were guidance of improvement but turned out to be documentation to send to HR

The manager had also never informed me that this is not acceptable along the period

What should I and what shouldn't I do now? I do not want the situation to worsen and turned into warning letters then dismissal

Can HR continuously issue warning letter within short period of time (say 3 in a month) as I am trying to ask for adequate time for improvement (until end of this year)

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:27:36 AM

Really can't comment much. Since there seems to be some sort of meeting with HR IR as you said, just attend the meeting and have the matter explained or sorted out.

mdkamil
Contributor
Wed, 17 Jul 2019 02:53:57 PM
Originally posted by Mailer on Wed, 24 Jul 2019 08:47:04 PM

First of all thank you for attending to my question

HR IR rasked to meet up to show me evidence collected by my manager on mistakes made in my reports from end of last year until recently

No showcause letter was given but I was requested to write an e-mail to answer to these mistakes

It was communicated in last year's appraisal I need to improve my reporting accuracy but both aprties agreed coaching will be given to improve

I was expecting all the e-mails were guidance of improvement but turned out to be documentation to send to HR

The manager had also never informed me that this is not acceptable along the period

What should I and what shouldn't I do now? I do not want the situation to worsen and turned into warning letters then dismissal

Can HR continuously issue warning letter within short period of time (say 3 in a month) as I am trying to ask for adequate time for improvement (until end of this year)

On issues related to employee's performance at work, there is a court award that stated "an employer should be slow in taking action against its employee when dealing with performance matters".

There is no standard procedures in managing non-performance, but a good and fair practice must include -

1. Both employer & employee are clear on the scope of work & expected deliverables.
  2. Employer must highlight and clarify to the employee on any mistakes/errors and work that are not meeting the expected deliverables.
  3. Employee who may lack of the needed skills to perform certain work should be properly guided or trained.
  4. It is advisable for the employer to establish a structured Performance Improvement Program (PIP) to address the employee's competency gap.
  5. Assessment should be conducted periodically within a reasonable time duration that is sufficient for the employee to improve his/her performance.
  6. If employee does not show any significance improvement after being guided and trained, employer may first provide an opportunity for the employee to change his/her role for a more suitable job in the company.
  7. If after all the above fail, then only the employer may consider to terminate the employee on basis of non-performance.
Mailer
Wed, 17 Jul 2019 07:45:45 PM
Originally posted by mdkamil on Wed, 17 Jul 2019 02:53:57 PM

On issues related to employee's performance at work, there is a court award that stated "an employer should be slow in taking action against its employee when dealing with performance matters".

There is no standard procedures in managing non-performance, but a good and fair practice must include -

1. Both employer & employee are clear on the scope of work & expected deliverables.
  2. Employer must highlight and clarify to the employee on any mistakes/errors and work that are not meeting the expected deliverables.
  3. Employee who may lack of the needed skills to perform certain work should be properly guided or trained.
  4. It is advisable for the employer to establish a structured Performance Improvement Program (PIP) to address the employee's competency gap.
  5. Assessment should be conducted periodically within a reasonable time duration that is sufficient for the employee to improve his/her performance.
  6. If employee does not show any significance improvement after being guided and trained, employer may first provide an opportunity for the employee to change his/her role for a more suitable job in the company.
  7. If after all the above fail, then only the employer may consider to terminate the employee on basis of non-performance.

Thank you very much mdkamil for the really informative reply

On the mentioned court award, appreciate if you could let me know the particular case name (xxx vs yyy sdn. bhd.) as I wish to have a read on that

mdkamil
Contributor
Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:55:55 AM
Originally posted by Mailer on Wed, 17 Jul 2019 07:45:45 PM

Thank you very much mdkamil for the really informative reply

On the mentioned court award, appreciate if you could let me know the particular case name (xxx vs yyy sdn. bhd.) as I wish to have a read on that

IE Project Sdn Bhd v. Tan Lee Seng (Award No. 56/198)

“An employer should be very slow to dismiss upon the ground that the employee is found to be unsatisfactory in his performance or incapable of performing the work which he is employed to do without first telling the employee of the respects in which he is failing to do his job adequately, warning him of the possibility or likelihood of dismissal on this ground and giving him an opportunity of improving his performance. It is for the employer to find out from the employee why he is performing unsatisfactorily or warn him that if he persists
in doing so he may have to go. There is no record of any such warnings. On the contrary I am satisfied that the Claimant had performed his task to the best of his ability.”

You may also find good info on performance issues via this link

https://www.taypartners.com.my/en/images/OurResources/Articles-LegalTaps/legaltaps-200703.pdf

Mailer
Wed, 24 Jul 2019 08:47:04 PM
Originally posted by mdkamil on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:55:55 AM

IE Project Sdn Bhd v. Tan Lee Seng (Award No. 56/198)

“An employer should be very slow to dismiss upon the ground that the employee is found to be unsatisfactory in his performance or incapable of performing the work which he is employed to do without first telling the employee of the respects in which he is failing to do his job adequately, warning him of the possibility or likelihood of dismissal on this ground and giving him an opportunity of improving his performance. It is for the employer to find out from the employee why he is performing unsatisfactorily or warn him that if he persists
in doing so he may have to go. There is no record of any such warnings. On the contrary I am satisfied that the Claimant had performed his task to the best of his ability.”

You may also find good info on performance issues via this link

https://www.taypartners.com.my/en/images/OurResources/Articles-LegalTaps/legaltaps-200703.pdf

Thank you mdkamil for your valuable information

HR closed the case by issuing verbal warning

Since no impact to my remuneration at the moment I will just have to be careful with superior

At the same time when I have time I will go to IR office to have a talk about this to protect myself from second wave of possible escalation / prevent abuse

This topic is closed