RegisterLog In

Can ex-employer sue me for defamation for leaving bad reviews on JobStreet?

Fri, 12 Jul 2019 10:43:19 PM  (Last updated: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:08:47 PM)

Recently my friends (local-based company) that just resigned from the company and they left some bad reviews because the Australia-based employer did the following:
1. They are only entitled for 8 days of annual leave BUT when it's Christmas, Australia-based office will be closed for two weeks. Hence, the boss will write an email to everyone in the company proposing to close the company for two weeks and ALSO DEDUCT EVERYONE'S ANNUAL LEAVE.  (he said is proposing but actually, he was forcing. Otherwise, he will not treat you nicely when you reject the offer.) 

2. When work is given too much, you are expected to come back to work on Weekends but you will not be paid or you will be able to get additional leave for it.

3. When the employer asks for comments or things to improve in the company, my friends told him what to improve. The employer is very unpleased with my friends and started given workload and deadlines that is impossible to finish on time.

4. When you're interviewed, the boss said there will be a very high bonus provided based on performance. However, you only can get a high bonus (1 to 2 months bonus) for the first two years. After that, you won't be able to get the bonus as the boss will give excuses that you didn't perform well. 

When one of the friends left and gave bad reviews for the company, the ex-employer had a very hard time finding candidates to hire suspected my friend was the one and wanted to sue him. Hence, he said he talked to his solicitors and he is entitled to RM6000 per day plus legal cost if he really wants to sue you. 

Is that even possible? Getting information from JobStreet on who is the person that gave the reviews and then sue the person? 

Appreciate your help on this issue. 


KL Siew
Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:08:47 PM

Has you friend received any lawyer's demand letter from his former Australian company? If he had. advise him to see a lawyer for advice. Delete the bad reviews

  This topic is closed