RegisterLog In

AL, UL and Salary

CS
Thu, 06 Jun 2019 05:44:43 PM  (Last updated: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 11:21:48 AM)

Hi, I would like to ask whether a company has a right to determine the offday for an employee with thier own method. The situation is like this:  

"The working pattern is 6 days a week, but the offday is random, means not necessary is saturday or sunday. now company need to close a month for renovation, employee has to take Annual Leave and Unpaid Leave if not enough AL. Generally, we have roughly 4 offdays per month, but company told us that if we do not take Annual Leave continuously 4 days in a week, we will not entitled for the offday for that particular week. Can the HR determines our offdays like that?"

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 07 Jun 2019 06:30:07 PM

Employers can fix weekly rest days for the employees according to Section 59 of the Employment Act. Go through the section for the necessary info. If you need further info you can always contact the Labour Department and discuss the issue with the officer there.

CS
Sat, 08 Jun 2019 08:03:27 PM
I still have a question about this situation, since the act mentioned that employer can fix weekly rest days that means there shall be at least one rest day in a week. In this case, employee should not apply full 7 days (AL/UL) in a week during the company shutdown, the maximum period is only 6 days. Am I right?
KL Siew
Administrator
Sun, 09 Jun 2019 11:21:48 AM

1. Yes, employees must be given one rest day per week.

2. As for annual leave, it is subject to approval by employer.

3. As for company shut down especially duing festivals, employers are not supposed to deduct employees' annual for the period of shut-down. If there is suvch deduction, employees should bring the matter up with the Labour Department.