RegisterLog In

Extended Medical Leave

LT
Mon, 11 Feb 2019 02:31:03 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 05:26:45 PM)

I have an employee who has been to medical leave this year a total of 29 days. His MC entitlement is 22 days and every employee has hospitilsation of 60 days. My understanding of 60 hospitalisation includes the 22 days of MC that is granted so in total he cannot exceed 60 days.

He now has balance of 31 days of MC for this year (60 day minus 29 days). If suppose he has utilised the full 60 days, I will need to deduct Annual leave and if no more annual leave, the next step is treat as unpaid leave.

From a employer's perpective, what does the law indicate about how long can he take unpaid leave. Is there grounds  for termination as his sickness will be aggrevated in the course of the work that he does in plant. 

Thank you.

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 11 Feb 2019 03:30:38 PM

There is no provision in the Employment Act to say how long should a maximum period unpaid leave that could be taken by employees. Prolong medical leave may get an emloyee to be medically boarded out or can even be grounds for frustation of an employment contract.

LT
Mon, 11 Feb 2019 03:56:49 PM

What are the provisions granted for medical board out? Where can i refer for details on package for medically board out in the event it comes to such a situaion.

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 11 Feb 2019 05:26:45 PM

For this, I think it would be better for you to consult SOCSO.

This topic is closed