RegisterLog In

Company Revise New Offer Letter by Prolonging Notice Period

Gabriel
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 09:51:38 AM  (Last updated: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 02:46:53 PM)

An employee have signed an offer letter upon joining the company in year 2017. However the company had issue a revised offer letter to the employee in year 2018 by extending the 1 month notice in the initial offer letter (2017) to 3 month notice upon resignation. Since this new offer letter do not benifit the employee, could the employee choose not to sign the offer letter issued by the company ?

If the employee not to signed the new offer letter, what is the consequences ? 

Is the old offer letter deemed to be void by the employer or the employee can still be bond under the initial offer letter ?

Would seek for some advise on this matter and is preferable with some direct resources from the labour law.

Thanks and best regards,
Gabriel

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 01:11:33 PM

If you don't like the 3 months notice period, you may either renegotiate with the employer about the notice period or reject the offer, which you are not going to accept the job.

Gabriel
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 01:28:44 PM
Then how about the initial offer letter being signed? Since new offer letter have been given, does it means that the old offer letter is deemed to be void? Both parties no need to fulfil any obligation?
KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 02:23:27 PM

Have you started work with the company?

Gabriel
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 02:38:28 PM
I have started to work one year ago with the offer letter signed on 2017.In 2018, the company come out with a new offer letter with prolonging the notice period to 3 months.
KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 02:46:53 PM

In that case, since the new offer will bind both the employer and the employee, I woould say it is advisable to accept the new term. Anyway, the decision is yours. I don;t know what complication could entail if you don't accept.