RegisterLog In

A letter of demand from employer to repay the loss and resignation letter still on hold

Thu, 09 Aug 2018 10:11:13 PM  (Last updated: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 12:00:43 PM)

Hi Admin,

I'd like to seek advice from this forum. I received a show cause notice saying I was negligent towrds my responsibilities and a letter of demand, demanding me to pay back the sum loss I caused in transferring the fund which is unrecoverable.

Appreciate if someone can help me clarify the few points below:

1) Is it possible for the company to ask me to repay the sum loss without court order and investigation still on going? They are demanding the loss due to my "negligence" towards my work. I have yet accept nor acknowledge the LOD.

2) Does the company have the right to hold my resignation letter due to this issue? I've submitted the resignation letter 2 weeks before the issue arises. But due to the recent event, they have yet responded on the status of my resignation.

3) Is there any law saying the company should hire a more competent personnel to handle such responsibilities as I was working as an Account's Clerk but was expected to perform Account's Executive works. Even in my contract, it is clearly mentioned my designation is Account's Clerk. I've informed my superior and the management that I am not capable of such responsibility but they kept on forcing me to try and said they will look for the competent personnel but they never did. So when I made a misake due to carelessness which I know from my lack of experience, I feel like it is unfair for the company to put all the blame on me when they are fully aware I am incompetent of such responsibilities. There was no written or proper procedure in place to let me know how to do my job.

Appreciate anyone's reply/advices on this. Thank you in advance.

KL Siew
Fri, 10 Aug 2018 12:00:43 PM

1. If you have already give notice for termination of service, you can leave after serving out the notice period.

2. About they want you to pay for loses, you can refuse to pay and let them take court action if they want.

3. If they withhold payment of your last salary, you can bring the matter up with the Labour Department.

  This topic is closed