RegisterLog In

URGENT!! Bonded contract Resignation

Fixer12
Tue, 10 Jul 2018 11:18:52 AM  (Last updated: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 02:35:33 PM)

Hi guys, i recently joined a company back in April (Contract)and i've received an offer letter to continue my studies which will start in September. So, i sent a 2 month notice of resignation on the 5th of july

As per the contract, i am technically under the probation period which will end in 7th or 8th July 

So in the contract i signed its stated as "You will be bonded for a period of 2 years starting *th April." (the day that i joined)

Under the Notice of termination section its stated as "Either party may terminate this  appointment at any time giving the other 2 months' notice in writing or by payment of any equivalent salary in lieu of notice, without the necessity of assigning reason. However, this is subject to the employee's bonding period/term with Company XX

So when i submitted the resignation, the supervisor told me that its possible for them to take legal action on me as it is a bonded contract. I told him that its stated as either party may terminate contract if we provide 2 month notice in adv

My concern is, is it possible for them to take legal action as it is a bonded contract? or am i right in this matter? i would be willing to upload the contract if needed 

They said they wanna meet me tomorrow not sure why..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 10 Jul 2018 12:16:41 PM

Go and meeting them tomorrow see what they say. Show them the study offer letter to show your resignation is genuine. If they insist on that bond or any demand for compensation, tell them you will consult a lawyer first.

Fixer12
Wed, 11 Jul 2018 01:48:36 PM

I spoke to them and they accept my resignation But they said I would not be serving the 2 month notice. They said I have to leave in the next few days after passing over my responsibilities. That is fine with me but they said they would not be paying for the days I've worked so far for this month July.

Is this legal or can I claim for it?

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 11 Jul 2018 02:35:33 PM

Don't seem to be a good deal for you. Since you said it was fine for you, you can tell them if they don't want to pay for the days you have worked, you will not leave the next day and will stay back to serve the 2 months notice. That's my suggestion. But you can give a call to the Labour Department and get an official opinion.