RegisterLog In

CONTRACT

TH
Wed, 20 Jun 2018 04:47:17 PM  (Last updated: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 08:41:52 AM)

HI,

I AM HR IN A PRIVATE COLLEGE AND CURRENTLY THE EMPLOYER IS DOING BADLY SO THEY WANT TO IMPLEMENT COST SAVING. 

PLANS OF THEIR COST SAVING IS : 

1. PERMENANT STAFF THAT HAS BEEN WORKING 5 DAYS TO BE CHANGED TO 4 / 3 DAYS WORKING DAYS AND ALSO TO PRO RATE ALL BENEFITS AND SALARY . CAN THIS BE DONE ? IS THIS LEGAL ?

2. STAFF THAT ARE ON CONTRACT, WE WANT TO END THIER CONTRACT. LETS SAY THEIR CONTRACT IS ENDING ON 2ND JANUARY 2019. CAN I END THE CONTRACT AND PAY THEIR 3 MONTHS SALARY LET THEM GO. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:18:10 PM

If that is the decision of the management to cut cost that way, do discuss with those employees concerned and see what they say.

However, in my opinion:

1. Reducing salary and benefits is tantamount to breach of contract. They may sue.

2. Paying them 3 months salary, can be attractive to some of them. Anyway, discuss with them. By the way, what are you going to do with the students when all the contract teaching staff are gone?

TH
Fri, 22 Jun 2018 05:22:55 PM

Hi, 

Why they are trying to downsize  cause our number of student has drop badly..... so if we let go all few pof the lecturers can we re- hire back when our student numbers increase. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Sat, 23 Jun 2018 08:41:52 AM

Why don't you pay a personal visit to the Industrial Relations Department and discuss the issue with the officer there about the possible impact/consequences of such a way of cost cutting.

This topic is closed