RegisterLog In

Pay for Part-Time work for Public Holiday

teikinn
Sun, 17 Jun 2018 01:29:17 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 03:46:38 PM)

I would like the clarify my understanding of the EA for part-time staff as below. Hope you can correct me if I am wrong.

1) Every part-timer is entitled to a minimum of 7 days PH (National day, Agong birthday, Labor day, FT day and 3 others that I can choose from in the Holiday's Act 1951).  Question - Earlier I thought it would be easier for me to givie all my staff 11 days as Public Holiday irrespective of whether they are part-time or full-time. It would seem that it would be much cheaper for me to give the part-time staff just the 7 days and the full-time staff 11 days. Is that how some companies approach this?

2) If the staff is working on the public holiday ie Labor Day, they are paid 2x their hourly rate below 8 hours and 3x their hourly rate for overtime exceeding 8 hours.

3) If the staff is not working on Labour Day, I still pay them 1x their hourly rate. Question - How do I calculate how many hours the staff has worked? Should I declare the number of hours, ie 8 hours, for a public holiday calculation? Or can I calculate the average based on the person's past working days ie 22 days average?

4) If it is a national public holiday, ie Wesak Day, but this day is not in my list of company recognised public holidays then I pay them as if it is a normal day - 1x their hourly rate.

TQ

Gon
Contributor
Mon, 18 Jun 2018 03:46:38 PM

1. up to you. Labour law does not stop you from giving 11 Ph for partimer

2. Correct interpretion shall be : Regardless of period of work, they shall entiled for 2 x day wage which mean work 1 hour also entitled as above. Exceed 8 Hour, then OT x 3

3. If not working then pay as normal. Monthly salary = pay everyday including weekend and PH. OT calculation normally = wage/208*1.5(depend of the rate)* OT hours

4. Correct. They will entilte for PH rate if you recognise it. You are required to come out with the list before new year start.