RegisterLog In

Medical Leave

Jane
Tue, 05 Jun 2018 04:26:13 PM  (Last updated: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 04:01:22 PM)

I have taken one day medical sick leave as I was ill.
I realized that in my HR record that not only deducted my medical sick leave, but also deducted 1-day hospitalization leave.
Is there a law/rules written somewhere that medical sick leave and hospitalization leave will be deducted simultaneously should we unfit to work?

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 05 Jun 2018 05:16:25 PM

What was the reason given by your HR for doing that?

Jane
Wed, 06 Jun 2018 10:36:59 AM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Tue, 05 Jun 2018 05:16:25 PM

What was the reason given by your HR for doing that?

According to our HR is that the medical sick leave is incorporated with the hospitalization leave. That’s the only reason given.

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 06 Jun 2018 12:15:12 PM

Sounds unusual but I suspect there must be some misunderstanding or miscommunication between you and HR. If it is really true that your one day sick leave was recorded as two days, I think you have to bring the matter up with the Labour Department for clarification.

Jane
Wed, 06 Jun 2018 03:02:50 PM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Wed, 06 Jun 2018 12:15:12 PM

Sounds unusual but I suspect there must be some misunderstanding or miscommunication between you and HR. If it is really true that your one day sick leave was recorded as two days, I think you have to bring the matter up with the Labour Department for clarification.

Dear Siew, Thank you for your advice.

Chinoz
Thu, 07 Jun 2018 08:35:12 AM

Hi there,

I believe your HR include sick leave together with hospitalization leave.

(aa) Where no hospitalisation is necessary:

(i) of fourteen days in the aggregate in each calendar year if the employee has been employed for less than two years;

(ii) of eighteen days in the aggregate in each calendar year if the employee has been employed for two years or more but less than five years;

(iii) of twenty-two days in the aggregate in each calendar year if the employee has been employed for five years or more; or

(bb) of sixty days in the aggregate in each calendar year if hospitalisation is necessary, as may be certified by such registered medical practitioner or medical officer:

Jane
Thu, 07 Jun 2018 03:01:13 PM
Originally posted by Chinoz on Thu, 07 Jun 2018 08:35:12 AM

Hi there,

I believe your HR include sick leave together with hospitalization leave.

(aa) Where no hospitalisation is necessary:

(i) of fourteen days in the aggregate in each calendar year if the employee has been employed for less than two years;

(ii) of eighteen days in the aggregate in each calendar year if the employee has been employed for two years or more but less than five years;

(iii) of twenty-two days in the aggregate in each calendar year if the employee has been employed for five years or more; or

(bb) of sixty days in the aggregate in each calendar year if hospitalisation is necessary, as may be certified by such registered medical practitioner or medical officer:

Dear Chinoz

Yes, you are absolutely right. Thank you.

Is this common? Sick leave recorded as two days instead of one day?

Chinoz
Thu, 07 Jun 2018 04:01:22 PM

Common or not, both practice still right.

For example:

Total Sick Leave: 14 days

Total hospitalization Leave (exclude sick leave): 46 days

If your company use above example, then it is wrong to deduct both leave. However if the following:

Total Sick Leave: 14 days

Total hospitalization Leave (include sick leave): 60 days

Then, your company is right to deduct both leave.

This topic is closed