RegisterLog In

salary deduction for extra 30 minutes break with permission by HR

cressentia.c
Mon, 07 May 2018 02:19:59 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 08 May 2018 12:24:36 PM)

Hi,

I have a few situations here:

1/ My lunch break only given 1 hour (12-1). I have an appointment with bank officer at the bank and informed HR that I might be late to work after lunch break (I come to work in the morning). HR was fine with that. So I reached office at 1:30pm. My company Account Manager informed my HR to instruct me to take half-day or if I refused,she (Acc) wants my HR to deduct 2 hours of my salary for my extra break time I took in which I was just late 30 minutes. 

2/ My Acc department rejects my parking coupon claim during my probation as she said that I am still under probation (not mentioned in the Appointment Letter). I come to work with my own car and parked at designated parking space by the council using coupon system.  

3/ Acc department rejects my "stationery claim" as I was not provided with proper stationery to be used in office so I bought it using my own money and expecting the claim will be reimbursed but none. The reason was because it against company policy to reimburse claim for stationery and staff can request company to buy for them. I did asked for stationery the day I joined the company but my request was to no avail so I took my own initiative. I claimed for masking tape,scissors and scale ruler. Out of this 3,only scale ruler claimable which to me make no sense to my other stationery I claimed.

4/ Acc department wanted to control staff movement (in and out) because she always out to handle company sub-company and won't be around to monitor staff. I think she is interfering with HR job. 

Help me to enlighten me on these. Thanks!

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 07 May 2018 04:47:23 PM

1. I think they have to do something when employees comes late. If not, things can go out of control when you allow one to come late without penalty, others may do the same.

2. Is there a clause in your appointment letter stating that you are entitled to parking claim?

3. You are not supposed to buy stationery for office use. Even if you are short of stationery, you have to get permission first from you department before you can buy any.

4. Discipline of employees should always be monitored. Most companies will do that.

The above are my humble opinions. If you think necessary, you may consult the Labour Department see whether they can enlighten you further

cressentia.c
Mon, 07 May 2018 05:06:32 PM

Hi.Thanks for your reply. In my defence for some of the situations:

1/ Account Manager comes to office 30 minutes late whilst other staff was in the office by 8 am. I also reach office 30 minutes before 8 considering distances between my office and my home. The reason I'm also late was because I have to deal with bank and bank only opens during weekdays. 

2/ There's no clause in my appointment letter but during my interview, the interviewee guarantee me that I can claim but didn't mention it supposed to be after I am considered permanent in the company.

3/ I took my own initiative or else I couldn't do my work

4/ Account Manager didn't come to work and she told HR she's sick but she failed to present MC from clinic and when being asked,she said she did inform the MD regarding her absentees but still no valid proof from clinic/hospital. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 08 May 2018 08:06:04 AM

1. Sorry to say that, you are just a junior new staff, don't expect to get the same as what managers get. Must be aware, different companies have different work culture, just try to fit in.

2. You mean all the confirmed staff in your company are entitled to claim back parking fee, even for the whole day? What about other staff under probation, do they get the same treatment you got?

3. No, No, you don't use your initiative this way. Companies usually have very tight control over spending money. By the way, what is the item you must have, without which you can't work?

4. As I said in 1, don't expect to get the same treatment as manager.  All your intention may be good, but not good for the company. Try to fit into their culture.

cressentia.c
Tue, 08 May 2018 08:47:31 AM

Thanks for your feedback.

1/ I don't think this culture is considered "healthy". She is a manager but she is not the big boss of the company. This is just my opinion because I don't think that we should have segregation in terms of discipline. Manager should potray good discipline before judging their sub-ordinates' discipline. How can a manager didn't know how to write a letter regarding accounts/financial matter and asking HR to write the letter even MD instructed her to do that? 

2/   The confirmed staff are eligible to claim for parking fee. Under probation staff (who joined after me) mostly didn't drive to work. For this matter,in my opinion I came to work during my probation by driving my own car and my parking fee claim being rejected is like I come to work and do my work for free even though the fact that interviewer said I can claim the parking fee. I feel cheated on this part. 

3/ I bought masking tape to secure the sides of Document Tender for submission. The company don't have any paper fastener and refused to give me petty cash just to buy the masking tape. 

4/ Same as 1. "Manager" should be someone that sub-ordinates respect.  Sub-ordinates didn't expect to get same treatment as manager. 

After all,his was just my opinion of my company situation at the moment. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 08 May 2018 12:24:36 PM

Masking tape, looks like you are a meticulous guy whose  good intention not appreciated. 

This topic is closed