RegisterLog In

9 May Polling Day

Catherine
Tue, 10 Apr 2018 03:14:05 PM  (Last updated: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 04:47:20 PM)

Dear HR professionals,

Regarding polling day to be held on 9 May 2018 (working day), does your company give employees 1 day or 0.5 day off to go back to hometown for polling or annual leave has to taken by employees? What is your practice? Appreciate sharing. Thank you.

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 10 Apr 2018 04:25:22 PM

If companies have such practice of giving leave to employees to vote, well and good. If not, for those staunch supporters, they normally take their own leave to go back to home towns to vote for their favourite candidate.Some even come back from oversea to vote.

Catherine
Tue, 10 Apr 2018 04:30:41 PM

Dear Siew,

Thank you for responding. So most companies will not practice giving paid time off for employees to go for voting? In this case, if company choose not to give paid 0.5 or 1 day off to go for polling, this is acceptable too? 

I read that the law says "Every employer shall, on polling day, allow to every elector in his employ[ment] a reasonable period for voting, and no employer shall make any deduction from the pay or other remuneration of any such elector or impose upon or exact from him any penalty by reason of his absence during such period."

What would be considered "reasonable period" for voting?

Look forward to responses. Thank you.

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 10 Apr 2018 05:29:29 PM

Honestly, I don't think I can comment much on this. Why not you give a call to the Election Commission (SPR) office to find what is the legal aspect of things.

Catherine
Tue, 10 Apr 2018 05:37:19 PM

How about sharing general company practice on giving time off for employees to go for voting?

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 10 Apr 2018 06:03:52 PM

I really don't have any way to gauge the general company practice. I still think SPR should be  the place for you to ask.

Catherine
Wed, 11 Apr 2018 04:21:14 PM

This is to update that the Prime Minister has declared 9 May as additional public holiday.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/04/11/pmo-announces-additional-public-holiday-on-may-9/

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 11 Apr 2018 04:47:20 PM

Thank you for the update.

Now, employers are required to provide an additional holiday to their employees. If they are required to work on that day, employers will have to pay (salary/26) x 2.

Workers can contact the Labour Department to get official ruling about the additional holiday.

This topic is closed