RegisterLog In

Verbal Harassment and Threat from Senior Staff

amrita
Tue, 03 Apr 2018 11:20:07 AM  (Last updated: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 12:29:42 PM)

We are facing verbal harassment and threats from a senior staff in office. He has been picking on us and badmouthing us to the management repeatedly. So, we decided to go and ask him politely why is he doing so. We went into his room and asked politely and all of a sudden he stood up and banged his hands on the table and started shouting at us in profanities and threatening us and he even raised his hand to hit me. Luckily, my colleague pulled me away from him and we went out afterwards. He kept shouting at us and threatened that he will have to show the other side of himself and that he is letting us to go now, since we are women. We felt threatened and unsafe with his words and actions and made a complaint to the management and they told us to make an official written complaint and they will decide on the actions later on and it might take few weeks. We are concerned of our safety in the office and outside of office.Thus, we are thinking of lodging a police report on him. Is it advisable to do so or should we wait for the management's decision first? This is because we believe that the term 'seniority' will not do us any justice. We clearly felt that it is totally wrong to raise hand and verbally harass other co-workers in the workplace and give them threats just because we are women.

Please advise us on this. Thank you.

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 03 Apr 2018 12:29:42 PM

Actually, you should do what they advise you, i.e. to write a written complaint to your HR department and let HR look into the matter. HR should take action since it involved many women workers.