RegisterLog In

Maternity Leave

Mong86
Thu, 01 Feb 2018 06:01:39 PM  (Last updated: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:58:30 PM)

Hi,

My company only offers me 44 days for maternity in their offer letter. At first, I thought this is the eligible period for maternity leave. But, after Budget 2018 was announced last year when our PM said private sector also entitled maternity leave of 90 days same as government sector. Also, I've checked Labour Ordinance for Sarawak 1958 Ed., Chapter IXB Section 88 - (1) Every female employee shall be entitled to maternity leave for a period of not less than sixty consecutive days (also referred to in this Chapter as the "eligible period") in respect of each confinement and, subject to this Chapter, she shall be entitled to receive from her employer a maternity allowance to be calculated or prescribed as provided in subsection (2) in respect of the eligible period. Currently, I'm 5 months pregnant and this is my first pregnancy. 

What should I do? Should I talk to the admin?

Gon
Contributor
Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:31:42 PM

please check 44 day is working day or included all?

you shall entitled for 60 paid maternity leave which normally is 2 month pay

Mong86
Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:45:55 PM

It includes public holidays and weekends. If that particular months has a lot of public holiday it will be a loss for me. Plus, my annual leave can’t cover. 

It is right for a company to do that?

Gon
Contributor
Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:49:39 PM

you are entitled to 60 days, please talk to you boss why only 44 days. if employer not paying then you may proceed with labour office

Mong86
Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:58:30 PM

Thank you for your reply. 

I will try to talk to my boss about it. The previous female employee got pregnant last year always sick while doing her job due to she haven’t finish her confinement period.  

This topic is closed