RegisterLog In

Forever on Contract

Sandy
Sun, 10 Dec 2017 09:46:00 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:51:02 AM)
Hello. I've been working full-time at this company for close to 5 years on a contractual basis (I'm Malaysian, btw). It has either been a one year contract or a two-year contract, so far. Every time the renewal comes up, and I request to be converted to a permanent employee, the management refuses, citing XYZ reasons. There is virtually no difference between me/what I do, and other colleagues who are permanent staff in the company. I am subjected to the same policies and benefits as well as performance appraisal KPI standards. My question is this: Can my company keep denying me a permanent position and keep me as a contract worker forever (going on 5 years now), or is there a maximum number of years that one can be on a contract? And lastly: I have requested for new terms (salary) to my contract in the past, but the management would say that I can only get the regular increment, and that it I want a raise, I would have to wait to be promoted. However, to my understanding, a contract and it's terms are only valid for the stipulated time period, and once it expires and is up for renewal, the contracted worker is allowed to re-negotiate the terms such as the salary and benefits package. But in my case, I have been denied this. I would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on my predicament. Thanks in advance.
KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:51:02 AM

It is not unusual for companies to have such a practice of employing workers on contract basis. Such practice becomes even more common these days. Actually, there is no such "permanent" jobs, if you are no good you will still have to go. In your case, you also don't have to stick to one place, you can always move around in the job market whenever there is a better opportunity.

This topic is closed