RegisterLog In

Resignation within 24 hours notice due to family illness

Eun
Wed, 06 Dec 2017 09:15:05 AM  (Last updated: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 10:09:12 PM)

Hi,

I started working today and had gone through the briefing where it mentioned about one month notice of resignation even before probation period ended. However, today I receive an urgent call of emergency where I am in need of resigning as soon as possible to help with my parent's worsening health conditions. So am I entitled to give the company a 24 hours notice or can this be brought into further negotiation with the HR?

Thank you 

mdkamil
Contributor
Wed, 06 Dec 2017 06:16:03 PM

You have reported to work, thus you are officially an employee to that Company who are subjected to their terms & conditions of employment. Thus, if by their terms or policy you need to give a one month notice.

However, since it is your first day of work and if you can genuinely prove the emergency situation that will not let you continue your employment in whatever ways, I believe there will be a chance to negotiate with your employer.

Be honest to them. It works.

Eun
Wed, 06 Dec 2017 10:09:12 PM
Originally posted by mdkamil on Wed, 06 Dec 2017 06:16:03 PM

You have reported to work, thus you are officially an employee to that Company who are subjected to their terms & conditions of employment. Thus, if by their terms or policy you need to give a one month notice.

However, since it is your first day of work and if you can genuinely prove the emergency situation that will not let you continue your employment in whatever ways, I believe there will be a chance to negotiate with your employer.

Be honest to them. It works.

Thank you for your reply. I have done exactly like that and everything has worked out fine. I was dismissed after everything was settled and I'm very glad that the directors were considerate of my situation. Thank you again for your advice :)