RegisterLog In

Resigned with 1 month notice instead of 3 months notice

Teh
Wed, 06 Dec 2017 07:07:04 AM  (Last updated: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 08:27:10 PM)

Hi, I’ve recently tendered my resignation letter with 1 month notice period. According to my offer letter, probation staff is required to give 1 month notice and confirmed staff is required to give 3 months notice. I’ve been working in this company for 1 year & 2 months and I have not officially received any written confirmation letter given to me. However, they have issued a confirmation letter with my name on it in order to register for our company’s medical device with the government agency as I was the assistant for the project at that time. I did not receive any physical copy since then and they mentioned that they’ve CC me an email with the confirmation letter attached but I couldn’t find any related email in my mailbox. Clearly the company did not standardize everything making everything a mess. Therefore, I am not fully aware of this confirmed status. FYI, I have receive an increment with my salary but still I have not receive any confirmation letter regarding my employment. After tendering the resignation letter, the HR has showed me the letter and she has told me that I’m required to serve a 3 months notice. Based on the letter content, the last paragraph has written that “Please sign the duplicated copy of this letter as a token of acceptance.” I am 100% sure that I did not receive any confirmation letter in Black & white nor signed any letter. I was told that the company is going to take legal action against me, I’m pretty sure I have my own right but I would like to get some advice from the public. Thank you very much. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 06 Dec 2017 08:27:10 PM

In my humble opinion, you should give 3 months notice. Since you already have given 1 month notice, so be it. I can't say whether the company is going to take legal action or not.