RegisterLog In

Offer Letter

MND
Tue, 31 Oct 2017 07:59:24 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:15:08 PM)

Hi there,

Need clarification, recently my HR called mentioned that I required to work on Saturday and Sunday. My off day will be on rotation basis. I'm a permanent employee which has served for one year. I'm an Assistant Reservation Manager.

My offer letter clearly stated that my working day & hours will be ( Monday - Friday) 8.30am - 6.00pm. There is a note mentioned: as a management employee of the hotel you are required to work longer hours and including to work on weekends (Saturday & Sunday) as and when required. 

My HR ask me to acknowledge a letter for this amendment. May I know is acceptable? Please advice.

Thanks,
Muntaz

SuharinKL
Contributor
Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:15:07 PM
Originally posted by MND on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:15:08 PM

Hi there,

Need clarification, recently my HR called mentioned that I required to work on Saturday and Sunday. My off day will be on rotation basis. I'm a permanent employee which has served for one year. I'm an Assistant Reservation Manager.

My offer letter clearly stated that my working day & hours will be ( Monday - Friday) 8.30am - 6.00pm. There is a note mentioned: as a management employee of the hotel you are required to work longer hours and including to work on weekends (Saturday & Sunday) as and when required. 

My HR ask me to acknowledge a letter for this amendment. May I know is acceptable? Please advice.

Thanks,
Muntaz

Hye there,

Basically it has been decided by Industrial Court that it is the discretionary power of the Company to change the working hours of its employees.

However, such power must be exercised judiciously or with good intention i.e not motivated by bad intention. 

If you are fine with the changes, you are free to accept and sign the amendment letter. If not, you may have to discuss with the HR on this and tell them your predicaments.

On the other hand, there are cases where employee claim for constructive dismissal due to the Company's unilateral action in changing the working hours of the employee. Again this must supported with evidence of bad intention on the Company's part to dishearten the employee. 

Regards,

suharinsulaiman@gmail.com

This topic is closed