RegisterLog In

Retrenched/redundancy law

Blur blur
Sat, 16 Sep 2017 02:30:48 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 08:17:15 AM)

Hi..

i work in the advertising / marketing / design industry and was recently retrenched. I was served the notice based on my confirmation letter.

my question is: since I'm retrench and currently serving my notice, can my employer request me to work overtime without pay?

KL Siew
Administrator
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 08:56:29 AM

If you are required to work overtime, you should be paid overtime wages accordingly.

Blur blur
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 05:29:02 PM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 08:56:29 AM

If you are required to work overtime, you should be paid overtime wages accordingly.

Since I won't be paid any wages for overtime, would it be against the law if I refuse/decline to do overtime? What if the company issue a warning letter for this matter? 

KL Siew
Administrator
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 05:54:06 PM

For what reason your employer does not want to pay overtime wages when they ask you to work overtime? 

Blur blur
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 06:45:43 PM

It's been a norm in this industry that overtime are not paid any wages. The overtime is not mere half an hour - 1 hour, usually will stretch to 3-4 hours which basically is half of a working day.

Since I'm retrenched, will I be breaking any law if I refuse to work overtime? Can my employer take any legal action on me for refusing to work overtime?

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 18 Sep 2017 08:17:15 AM

OK, in that case, just follow your normal working hours will do, I suppose.

Besides overtime, what about your retrenchment?

1, Are they paying you any compensation for the retrenchment?

2. What is your salary?

3. How long have you been working with the company?

4. How many months notice you are serving?

This topic is closed