RegisterLog In

Dishonestly Claim Medical Expenses

Danielle S.
Thu, 06 Jul 2017 06:08:44 PM  (Last updated: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 12:08:41 PM)

Hi Admin, 

Good day!

Company found that employees are dishonestly Claim medical expenses,

Medical expenses not for his / her own but for their family members. 

One of the employee who claim for the medical expenses for every two month for his family but the medical receipt is written by his name. 

Although the company is having to provide medical benefits to employees RM500 per year but not for the family.

The company will issue a show cause letter to this staff.

Would like to know if this can issue a show cause to this employee as dishonestly of claiming expenses?

Thank you for your attention and respond.

Regards

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 06 Jul 2017 06:36:41 PM

Before you take any action, I think you better contact the clinic that issued the medical claim as to the real person who went to and sought treatment there. Another thing, what about the MC?

Danielle S.
Fri, 07 Jul 2017 01:20:55 AM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Thu, 06 Jul 2017 06:36:41 PM

Before you take any action, I think you better contact the clinic that issued the medical claim as to the real person who went to and sought treatment there. Another thing, what about the MC?

Hi KL,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The employee didn't take any medical leave.
Yes, we have contacted the clinic and confirmed the patient is not the employee himself but is family member. and the medical receipt is claim under the employee name.  

Besides, we have checked with the labor department, the officer mentioned that after issue a show cause letter, the company have to out a memo clearly specific that the medical benefit does not cover by a member of your immediate family includes your spouse/partner, childrens/ partner’s children/ parents/ grandparents and siblings.

According to our memo to employee earlier, in the memo has mentioned the company officers medical / dental / optical care treatment to all full time employees but did not mentioned the benefits does not cover for their immediate family members.

Would appreciate if you could advise. In such circumstance, can the company take action and  issue a show cause letter as Dishonestly of behaviour OR Dishonestly Claim Medical Expenses?

Thank you for your attention and reply.

Regards

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 07 Jul 2017 08:10:49 AM

I think it would be better for the company to set their record straight first before taking action against the employee. He had been claiming such expenses before and not been queried by the company. .He might have taken it that he was entitled to such claims. Issue a new memo now to clarify the matter to avoid future confusion. That's my humble opinion.

Danielle S.
Fri, 07 Jul 2017 12:08:41 PM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 08:10:49 AM

I think it would be better for the company to set their record straight first before taking action against the employee. He had been claiming such expenses before and not been queried by the company. .He might have taken it that he was entitled to such claims. Issue a new memo now to clarify the matter to avoid future confusion. That's my humble opinion.

Hi KL, 

Thank you so much for the advise and prompt reply. 

Your advise does help us alot. 

Have a good day to you!

Regards.

This topic is closed