RegisterLog In

Employer wanted to delay buy out last employment date

Mon, 24 Apr 2017 09:52:57 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 03:16:06 PM)

Hi Professionals,

Would need some advise here.

I've tender my resignation letter mentioning the early release date which is 2 months earlier than the 3 months notice period.

It's because my next employer urgently needing people and they are willing to buy out.

My current employer has accepted my resignation letter verbally.

However they're not willing to provide the early release letter with the buyout amount.

I could understand they have concern on task handover and at the same time they are many other people leaving,

which make them to tell me that they will only tell me what my last employer date(early release date) would be after discussing with the team,

instead of following the last employer date I've stated in the resignation letter.

I would do my best on the task handover in the 1 month time too.

My concern is, If they are going to delay my last employer date,

I would lose my next employer's job offer as my next employer have told me that their latest recruit date couldn't be later than June.

Do employees have the right to set the early release date/last employment date?

Or it must be the employer?

The contract of termination of my company is states as shown in the statement below:

After confirmation, the period of notice of termination shall be (3) three months on either side or (3) three month's basic salary in lieu thereof, and will exclude any accrued annual leave on which you may be entitled unless such leave has previously been approved by MIMOS to be taken during the relevant period.

Seriously appreciate any advise given!!!


KL Siew
Tue, 25 Apr 2017 03:16:05 PM

In that case, what you can do is to pay the two months compensation for the early release with money from your pocket instead waiting for the buy out money to come. You can claim back the money from your new employer but make sure they will keep their promise to pay you back.

  This topic is closed