RegisterLog In

Extension of probation without valid reasons given

blythe1234
Thu, 02 Mar 2017 12:38:07 PM  (Last updated: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 04:32:10 PM)

Hi,

I was due for confirmation early March.  On Monday, my boss called me into his office to discuss on pending work and in later part of the discussion, gave me feedback on my performance.  All the points given were regarding my soft skills, of  which, he failed to provide specific examples and recommendations on how he think Ii should handle the situation. Throughout the conversation, he also made some discriminatory remarks which upset me. I were not agreeable to the points but ended the discussion nonetheless as it was running late and I'm not feeling well.  My intention is to approach my boss again another day to come to an amicable agreement.  However, he sent me an email the next day with HR being cc'ed (after workings hours and Ii was on MC), calling the discussion the day before a counseling session and stating his intention to extend my probation.  Some of the points mentioned in the email were not discussed and some very vague (leadership to inculcate work improvement in a harmonious working environment - how would one set a benchmark to gauged what is harmonious?).  He also mentioned those points were highlighted to me previously for improvement - again, not true. I was supposed to set a KPI with him one month after joining for my confirmation purpose, which was not done as he keep saying he's busy and HR never pursue this matter. Now, HR is arranging for a meeting to formally inform me of the extension of probation.

What can I do to safeguard my interest as I'm not agreeable to the alleged shortcomings (my boss is on long leave and won't be back anytime soon)? In the HR handbook, they clearly state that the immediate superior shall initiate appraisal of the staff and officially inform HR on his decision to extend probation at least 3 weeks before expiry of the probationary period.  In my case, it was less than 1 week and no formal appraisal done except for his email.  Also, there were no document to prove regular counseling was performed which was acknowledge by both parties and a copy sent to HR for their retention.

Please advise as I felt I had been subject to corporate bullying.  Thanks.

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 02 Mar 2017 04:13:18 PM

Attend the meeting and have a civil and business like discussion with the HR people. Confrontational approach will only make matter worse. Bosses can have all sorts of "angin", be tactful with them will definitely help.

blythe1234
Thu, 02 Mar 2017 04:23:47 PM

Hi KL Siew,

Thanks for the prompt response.  Just came back from meeting with HR.  Told them my disagreement on the facts presented, the HR manager mentioned there's nothing he can do as the only feedback he receive was the email.  He suggested that I meet with my boss again when he's back in 2 weeks time and attempt to seek further clarification and come to a landing. If all else fail, HR will sit in as mediator. Anyhow, he served me the extension of probation letter even though i refused to sign the performance appraisal (which my boss filled in and did not show to me on Monday) and PIP (which he drafted based on the email with vague performance standard like "create harmonious workplace" and without agreed upon action plan).

I would like to know, if we still fail to reach a landing point, can they force me to sign the appraisal and PIP?  What will happen if I refuse, can they terminate my employment?  

Thanks. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 02 Mar 2017 04:32:10 PM

As the saying goes "discretion is the better part valour". Use your better judgment, try not to make matter worse. Management people are not likely to side with you even you think you are right.

This topic is closed