RegisterLog In

Inquriy about being charged over misconduct

Gonda Lee
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:45:23 AM  (Last updated: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 04:53:26 PM)

Hello KL Siew. I would like to inquire about the possible outcome of negligence committed by an employee.

I am working in a multinational company, and I am responsible to conduct the remittance from local to the foreign country. Due to the massive load of tasks being assigned everyday, inevitably I have committed mistakes several times, which is I have wrongly remit the money into wrong supplier a/c. In a normal case, I would just contact the supplier and humbly request the money back. 

However, I have been hearing rumors in the company that if you cannot request the money back, the company will charge you over the loss. Due to the nature of the business, the amount of every single remittance is huge, sometimes it amounted to million. As an employee, I know that I am responsible to my mistake, however if I am liable to the loss, I could be bonded in the company forever, so I am actually worried about it. 

I did searched around and found that unless the misconduct is intentionally made, the employee is not entitled to the loss. The worst case is the termination of contract. I hope to know the opinion from the professionals. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:53:15 AM

First thing first, try to get back the money first. We don't want to speculate what the company will do in your case.

Gonda Lee
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 01:39:45 PM

Yes, I did contacted the person and I have successfully reclaimed the money. Thank god. 

In case I failed to reclaim it, can the company sue me over negligence?

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 04:53:26 PM

Even so now with money returned, they still can take disciplinary action against you.

This topic is closed