RegisterLog In

How to calculate for a few hours of leave during a working day

Educator
Thu, 29 Dec 2016 06:57:00 PM  (Last updated: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 11:58:05 PM)

I operate a kindergarten and one of my staff has a medical condition and will regularly apply for a few hours leave in the mornings during class hours. When the principal deducted added those hours together and deduct it as unpaid annual leave (because she has exceeded her annual leave), she protests and said that the principal never told her that it will be deducted. My question is, first of all, should we just request for her to take half day leave in the future when the same situation arise? Because she has shown very bad attitude and agression when we query her on this recently, (even though she takes up to 14 leave days every year for the past 4 years and we are still supportive of her medical condition) we have decided that we will no longer be so generous and would like to just follow the law. Please advise. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 04:28:10 PM

Read up Section 60e and Section 60f of the Employment Act and follow the law accordingly. Anything in excess of will no pay.

Educator
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 07:09:50 PM

Thank you for your advice Siew. 

Upon reading 60f, am I to understand that an employer is required by law to pay for a doctor's visit when an employee is sick so that an employee may obtain an MC to get a paid sick leave from the employer? 

Please advise on the intrepretation of 60f. Thank you. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Sun, 01 Jan 2017 07:55:57 AM

No, employers are not required to pay for the medical expenses.  Consult the Labour Department if you are still in doubt.

Michael
Contributor
Mon, 02 Jan 2017 08:24:58 AM

Yes the employer has to bear the expenses for the medical examination for employees covered by the Employment Act. However, it is only for examination by panel doctors (unless there is no panel doctor appointed by the company, or due to emergency, it’s not possible for the employee to go to the panel doctor). Also it only applies if a MC/sick leave is given.

The expenses to be borne by the company is for the examination/consultation only and doesn’t cover things like hospitalisation, surgery etc.

Educator
Wed, 04 Jan 2017 11:58:04 PM

I called the Labour office today and was advised to deduct the hours that the employee is late to work as annual leave since her doctor's visit is not because she is ill but for her own personal medical check up for certain procedure (not illness related). And she is given time-slips by the hospitals, not MC. So I will be following this advice of deducting annual leave per the hours she is absent from work. 

The Labour office says that an employer is NOT required to pay for an employee's doctor's visit. The choice is up to the employer.