RegisterLog In

Do not wish to accept Contract of Employment

Tue, 19 Jul 2016 05:47:01 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 06:32:13 PM)


Asking on behalf,

I have started work on 1st of July 2016 - present. Today only I received letter of offer from HR, and to my surprise it is not a letter of appointment for permanent position, but a contract of employment for 6 months instead! I've not been told about this during interview. So now I do not to wish to continue to work in this company and wish to resign with immediate effect. The contract of employment is still with me, not signed by the employer, and in the contract term says "must give a minimum of 2 months' written notice if employee wish to terminate this contract of employment".

1) Can I not sign this contract and demand for salary for the number of days that I'd worked? 

2) Can I resigned with immediate effect? 

3) Have I accepted the contract of employment because I have started work although both parties has not signed on the agreement? But can I argue also because I just received the contract and I do not agree with the terms and not a permanent post.

Please advise. Many thanks!

KL Siew
Tue, 19 Jul 2016 06:32:13 PM

First you can talk to the HR about your wanting to leave immediately without having to pay 2 months salary as compensation in lieu of notice. If they agree then go.  If they don't agree, you have to give 2 months notice or pay two months salary as indemnity.

  This topic is closed