RegisterLog In

Exceeded Sick Leave quota

Nurul Jannah
Thu, 21 Jan 2016 04:46:02 PM  (Last updated: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:17:23 AM)
Hi, Im an employee with salary exceeding RM2K per month. However, would need some advice on a situation which Im facing right now: I was diagnosed with torn ligament thus would need for me to go through surgery. Which post-surgery recovery period would be 90 days/3 months before I would be able to walk and work as usual.My company provided sick leave quota of 30 days and hospitalization leave quota for 30 days.Prior performing the surgery, I already seek their advice on this. And they say they will allow me to apply for extended leave quota which will approved by HQ.After performing surgery and the doctor has provided 90days MC. HR says I have to use all my leaves quota (sick leave plus annual leave-25 day) and apply for unpaid leave for the extra 45 days. Plus, I am not eligible to apply for the extended leave due to the injury was due to personal inflicted injury.What your opinion on what should I do to avoid the unpaid leave. Where can I get advice on this as I am not covered under EA act.Thank you.
KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 21 Jan 2016 06:46:13 PM

Unfortunately no. You may have to apply for no pay leave if your entitlement was exceeded.

Nurul Jannah
Thu, 21 Jan 2016 07:06:53 PM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Thu, 21 Jan 2016 06:46:13 PM

Unfortunately no. You may have to apply for no pay leave if your entitlement was exceeded.

What if there's clause from employee handbook saying that"Upon recommendation from panel doctor, employee which has any diseases or prolonged illness can be granted for addition of leave above leave entitlement"Maybe I can first check can this be defined to be part of the clause above.Thank you.
KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 22 Jan 2016 08:19:42 AM

Yes, check first. But the question is whether whether the addition leave is with pay or not. Of course, the Dr can recommend addition leave but paying is is a different matter.

Nurul Jannah
Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:17:23 AM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 08:19:42 AM

Yes, check first. But the question is whether whether the addition leave is with pay or not. Of course, the Dr can recommend addition leave but paying is is a different matter.

Base on the clause: additional leave is paid for maximum 6 months of leave. Beyond 6 months would be half paid. More than 9 months would be unpaid. More than 12 months can be medically boarded out. Will clarify this with HR and superior.Thanks again :)

This topic is closed