RegisterLog In

Long working hours

jonleong
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 03:47:29 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 06:45:54 PM)

Hi,

I've recently joined a company. The letter of offer states the working hour is 8am to 5.30pm, 5 days a week. But after joining for a week, the company actually requires me to work from 8am till 2am next day, and in uncomfortable environment of chemical powder. The letter also states that there is no OT claim available.

My probation period is 1 month, and it requires 2 months notification for termination.

So in this case, if I would like to stop working immediately, what are the chances that I have for not compensating for the 2 months notice?

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 04:38:29 PM

Talk to your boss about your problems and that you want to leave immediately. If he does not agree, you still have to give two months notice. If not, you have to compensate the company two months salary.

jonleong
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 05:04:06 PM

Hi KL Siew,

I've already spoke to my boss, but apparently he thinks that there is nothing wrong with the long working hours. Is it lawful for an employer to request the worker to work 18 hours a day? I do felt being cheated by the company as it purposely define no OT claim allowed in this case.

I have another question that is, within my probation period, I'm not entitled for any annual leave. However, can I take unpaid leave in this case?

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 06:45:54 PM

Working 18 hours and have no overtime payment, that is something wrong. If overtime wages is paid for the hours after the normal working hours then it should be OK.

As for annual leave, under the Employment Act, an employee has to complete 12 months of service before entitling to paid annual leave. Any leave taken before that may be considered as no pay leave.

This topic is closed