RegisterLog In

Supposed to be Converted to a perm staff. Found out contract denied extension and given 6 weeks notice!

Kevin
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 01:29:26 PM  (Last updated: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 03:23:33 PM)

Need some advice and clarification on this issue. Summary as below -:

Previously served in X company for 3 years which ended nastily. Was issued a Warning Letter & Personal Improvement Plan (PIP) and in the end i resigned voluntarily. Tender notice is 60 days but i only served 30 days. <-- Key Point

6 years later, i rejoin X Company as a temp contractual staff and it has been one year i am here. Received news from my superiors that they will convert me to be a permanent employee due to my achievements and track record during this time. Soon after, received an update from HR Director that due to the above "Key point" i will never be able to be permanent employee here anymore in this lifetime because its documented.

So i approached my superior saying that, since i cant get converted, how about a raise to justify my achievements. Was slapped back with the statement that HR is not able to convert me, and on top of that will also declined to extend my current contractual staff postion and leave me with 6 weeks notice ( oct 31 2015) as my last day to serve in X company. 

In Short, i dont think its right to use my permanent staff past actions and details to dictate my current temp Staff employment. My current payroll and HR related details is being handled by an outsourced company and not X Company. Should i bring this to Labour Office ? or what should i do. 

Please help..

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 03:19:59 PM

You should bring the matter up with the Industrial Relations Department and not the Labour Department. An Industrial Court decision quoted below may be of some interest and info for you:

"As a conclusion, a mere fact that an employee is placed on a fixed term contract does not give companies carte blanche to get rid of unwanted employees by not renewing their contract when it expires.
Should a company choose to not renew an employee’s contract of
employment for whatever reason upon its expiry, it must be for just cause and excuse. When a contract is not renewed, companies
should not only stipulate the reasons for the non renewal, in the letter of non renewal, but it must also be able to establish the reason it has given with cogent evidence, should the employee take them to task.
In a nutshell, the safest way to end a fixed term contract is by assuming the contract is one that is permanent."

Kevin
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 03:23:33 PM

Thank you for the advise KL Siew.

I shall probe further into this as they HR has arranged next friday for a round table discussion to finalize and iron out this matter with me

At least now i have something to learn up and keep for my defense when the time comes.  

This topic is closed