RegisterLog In

Employee not able to work with long MC

Sun, 09 Aug 2015 08:07:22 PM  (Last updated: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 09:15:55 PM)


My employee have a bad back problem since his previous work as a personal driver. During that time he sit for a long time everyday, as a result he has a condition that many office worker has due to long hours of sitting. Sometimes, his leg is is pain or numb due to his back problem. Since last year he has been going for physiotherapy 2-3 times a month. The government hospital only gives him a 1-2 hours leave during the physiotherapy and the Medical Certificate will say he is fit for work after the 2 hours session. But, he always says he needs a full day rest after the physio. Which, I also never deduct his salary or annual leave for this.

Now, the problem is since last monday hos leg become pain and he say he cannot walk. He goes to government hospital, the doctor told he needs to MRI scan which the schedule only available next month. ( 15 September) He says the doctor gave him MC until 22 September.

What can I do? For a employee that worked for me 3 years plus. There is a maximum days of MC he is allowed. Then he is consider under unpaid leave? 

Beyond the unpaid leave what can I do? Is he consider still under employment or ? 

thanks for the help.

Sun, 09 Aug 2015 09:15:55 PM

Since he claimed that he is given such MC then ask him for it. If you have any doubt or would like to further understand his condition, you may give the doctor a call or write in a letter to enquire. 

If the MC given is valid, then you just minus off from his entitlement and once he used up, you have to notify the employee and that you will deduct his AL (provided he still has a balance) or else it will be unpaid leave.

At the mean time, he is still an employee. In the event that the doctor certify that he is not fit to work, then you may proceed to medically outboard him and let SOCSO take care of him.

  This topic is closed