RegisterLog In

Domestic Inquiry vs Police Investigation

Thu, 23 Jul 2015 06:40:52 PM  (Last updated: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:28:15 AM)

some valuable found missing in our company, after watch through the CCTV, we suspect one of our staff stealing it. However the CCTV not clear enough to take charge, therefore we report Police and submit all the evidence for investigation.

We already suspend her from work for investigation for two weeks with full paid. So I have few question to ask:

  • Since we cannot suspend her for too long, what if the police investigation take months or two, then what should we do?
  • If we carry out a DI, can we put the stealing as allege misconduct? I worry if this still under investigation, can we use this word as a misconduct?
  • If the DI result is misconduct, can we dismiss her with immediate effect? or I need to wait for the report from police? and do I need to give any notice in lieu?
  • What if, the investigation result from police is not guilty after few months, is the dismissal still valid? we will recruit a replacement if the DI result is misconduct.
KL Siew
Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:28:15 AM

You still can carry out the DI independent of the outcome of the police case if you have good evidence to charge him and make the necessary decision. You just do your part according to proper procedures.

  This topic is closed