RegisterLog In

Compensation on decline job offer

Alice
Mon, 06 Jul 2015 01:16:18 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:02:12 AM)

Dear Sir,

like to seek advice on above mentioned.

On May 2015 I accepted a job offer as daycare teacher which start work on July 1st.

By Jun I decided the working hour too long (0800-1900hrs) therefore I spoken to the owner and send text to her mobile phone.

On 1st of July date of commencement I did not turn out, the next day the admin personnel called me and mentioned he did not received any official notice in black and white hence I need to serve them one month notice or else I need to pay one month salary as compensation.  However I explained my reason of decline this offer due to long hour, the company offer me a part time position (half day) so that I can also have time for family life.  I accepted the offer since I have resigned from my previous job.

I worked 2 days with the company and found the owner is very hostile and emotionally abusive toward me, I decided to give a official 24 hour notice to the admin by send text message to the company phone.  (This daycare center do not have email).

I was requested to pay a one month salary as a compensation for my turn down, even though in the offer letter did not mentioned any thing about this.

Please help to advise me.

Thanks and Regards

Alice Lim

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:02:12 AM

Yes, they can make claim for one month salary as compensation for not giving notice even though there is no mention of notice period. Anyway, you just wait and see whether they really are going to take action or not.

This topic is closed