RegisterLog In

Deduction for late

Bryan
Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:27:55 PM  (Last updated: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 07:17:24 AM)

If an employee coming late for 1 hour, salary will suppose to be deduct for 1 hour with basic pay rate or overtime rate? The company I working for claims that they will deduct 1 hour salary with overtime rate. They also said that employees who came late should compensate the period of time they being late after working hour. Employer fail to provide any memos or documentations to prove the verbal procedure of handling late comers. Is this legal? 

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:17:13 AM

First and foremost, you are not supposed to come late for work. In fact, apart from the deduction and they can also take disciplinary action against you. Coming late for work is misconduct.

Bryan
Wed, 01 Jul 2015 04:12:41 PM

First and foremost, thank you for your respond, but me as a lay person, I would like a further explanation for the above mentioned, because i don't have any legal background and that is why I'm posting it here, appreciate if you could at least provide me with constructive answer instead of criticism. All I'm asking for is whether they should deduct based on basic salary or hard earned overtime. Whether it's legal for them to used verbal communication to conveyed such matter? Thanks but no thank you for your advise. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 01 Jul 2015 05:38:17 PM

I am sorry for saying something you don't like to hear, my apology. Since you want to know the deduction is legal or not, I think the best place to get the correct and official answer is from the Labour Department. Give them a call.

Iszkandar
Thu, 02 Jul 2015 11:01:00 AM
Originally posted by Bryan on Fri, 03 Jul 2015 07:17:24 AM

If an employee coming late for 1 hour, salary will suppose to be deduct for 1 hour with basic pay rate or overtime rate? The company I working for claims that they will deduct 1 hour salary with overtime rate. They also said that employees who came late should compensate the period of time they being late after working hour. Employer fail to provide any memos or documentations to prove the verbal procedure of handling late comers. Is this legal? 

Bryan, 

i have to disagree. that is considered as unlawful deduction. i dont see how that could happen. 

The company can take disciplinary action against you for being tardy but no salary can be deducted for that reason. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 03 Jul 2015 07:17:24 AM

I am not sure whether deduction of  this kind is unlawful or not. I believe the maxim: "He who want to come into equity must come with clean hands". If coming late is lawful then I will agree that the deduction is unlawful. If not, I am not so sure.

This topic is closed