RegisterLog In

Maternity Leave entitlement

workaholic
Tue, 09 Jun 2015 06:05:05 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 04:17:23 PM)

Hi, 

We suspect our staff is pregnant but she haven't inform us about this matter. Suspect she could be pregnant for more than 6 months and we didn't notice because she's chubby until one of our staff accidentally touched her stomach. She has been working with us for 6 months and is still under probation. 

1. Is probation staff entitled for the 60 days maternity leave? 

2. If she admits only after the confrontation, and confinement period is just less than 2 months away. Still entitled for the maternity leave? 

3. Are we allowed to take any action for she didn't inform us of her pregnancy during the interview?

Thanks.

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 09 Jun 2015 06:44:34 PM

From the info given by you, she is entitled to maternity leave with pay.

As for her not disclosing her pregnancy during interview, was she required to fill in a job application form in which she had to disclose certain information including pregnancy and declared that all the info was true? If there is and the possible consequences of any info that was not true was made clear to her, then I think you may take action accordingly. Otherwise, better not.

workaholic
Mon, 15 Jun 2015 10:05:47 AM

Thanks for your answer. Just right after i have posted this, she actually didn't turn up to work the next day and we found out she have given birth. She didn't plan to apply any maternity leave as well as she wanted no one to find out about this due to personal reason. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Mon, 15 Jun 2015 04:17:23 PM

By law, she is entitled to 60 days paid maternity leave irrespective whether she is married or not. As you said she did not want to pursue her maternity entitlement for some reasons, it is something between her and the company. I have no comment.

This topic is closed