RegisterLog In

Seemingly unfair contract term on termination

Fesenjoon
Sat, 11 Apr 2015 08:57:52 PM  (Last updated: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 03:21:33 PM)

I have recently been offered a position. The HR have sent me the contract for me to sign. The termination terms seem to be a bit unfair:

If the Employee voluntarily resigns within the twelve months from the first working day, the Employee is liable to pay the Employer 2 months’ salary and must complete the notice period.

This Agreement can be terminated by either party provided notice in writing is provided by one party to the other, two (2) calendar months prior to termination. However during the first three (3) months of employment the notice period for both parties is one (1) month. Payment of salary lieu of notice shall not be allowed. It is not necessary for either of the parties to specify the reason for termination.

I have never worked in the Malaysia before. But I'm wondering is this kind of contract usual? I mean If want to leave I have to complete a two month notice period which is totally fine. But they want two months of my salary too! Is that even legal? Any thoughts? 

KL Siew
Administrator
Sun, 12 Apr 2015 08:27:45 AM

Don't sign if you are not happy with the terms or further negotiate before signing.

Ar
Mon, 13 Apr 2015 03:21:33 PM

HI,

Just for advice, don't work as employee here. You better open a business here.  Local people all were being suffered by the local company. This is one of the reason, local people want to work at overseas. Just think it, local company already bullying local people, non-local people will suffer more.

This topic is closed