RegisterLog In

not protected by employment act?

confused  
Wed, 07 May 2008 12:58:02 AM  (Last updated: Wed, 07 May 2008 08:11:04 AM)

Hi,

I understand that the definition of 'employee' in employment act means someone below RM1500 or manual work related worker. Does that mean ppl not under this category is not protected by employment act?

For graphic designer, IT programmer, sales enigneer, etc which earn RM2500 per month and not doing manual work, does that means all of them not protected by employment act? If that is the case, I think most of the degree holders in Malaysia are not protected by employment act.

May I know how Malaysia's labour law protect this group of ppl?

Thank you.

Thank you

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 07 May 2008 08:11:04 AM

The Employment Act provides only the minimum benefits to certain categories of employees. These minimum benefits are for example, annual leave, sick leave, maternity, public holidays, overtime work, minimum notice for termination of service and so on. For those in the higher income groups, these benefits are normally stated in their contract of service or appointment letters. The benefits they get are usually better than those stated in the Employment Act. However, in the event of any dismissal or other disputes arising between the parties, they can refer to the Industrial Relations Department. The Industrial Relations Act provides protection to all employees irrespective of their income levels.

This topic is closed