RegisterLog In

Manual Labor

msdandelion
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 05:57:37 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:41:14 AM)

Dear Mr. Siew,

As our  company is planning to hire staff for warehouse and delivery field. Therefore, I would like to ask regarding the following questions.

1. If we hire warehouse & delivery assistant whose duty is to count the goods, pack and put in the truck for delivery; these staff will be taken as manual labor, right? 

2. We also want to hire a driver of which his main duty is to drive from one place to the other and will also from time to time load and unload the cartons, will he be counted as manual labor as well?

3. In case we recruit the supervisor, who might some time need to drive, but his main duties are to control the shipment of cartons/goods, supervise the manual labor. However, his salary will exceed RM 2,000, will he also be taken as a manual labor as well? If yes, it means that in case he has OT, work on rest day/PH, we have to  pay him according to the calculation stated in the law, right?

Also will it make a difference if he stops driving and only supervising the shipment of goods in the warehouse/office? I mean will he become just a supervisor/manager earning more than RM 2000 and that the EA no longer covers him?

Kindly advise.

Thank you so much in advance.

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 06:18:20 PM

I think you have read through the First Schedule of the Employment Act. I think and you may also think those in 1, 2 and 3 come under manual labour. In order to decide whether an employee is manual or non manual, I think one has to look into the nature of his work, his skill, technical knowledge and education level. This is quite a subjective topic.

msdandelion
Mon, 20 Oct 2014 06:18:44 PM

Dear Mr. Siew,

Thank you for your kind reply.

One more question I would like to ask is that, will the stockroom boy in the retail stores be taken as a manual labor as well ?

(he will be assisting in stocktaking but will perform selling at the store from time to time)

Kindly advise

Thank you so much.

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:41:14 AM

With that title "storeroom boy" , and not know his actual job description,  I would say he is in the manual labour category.

This topic is closed