RegisterLog In

Discrepancies in the Contract every renewal

jakejacobss
Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:50:56 PM  (Last updated: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:26:02 AM)

Hi Admin,

I am an expat working in Malaysia. I came here directly from the same company but in another country where I was a permanent employee. i have been here for almost 3 years now and had my contract renewed this year. Prior to coming here, I was told by the HR from the  company branch where I came from that my tenure will continue here, which means I am still permanent employee but the employment visa will be renewed every 2 years (as they say that's the max allowed by the Malaysian government). I never had any issue with my employer but something happened that got me really bothered. An expat colleague's contract was not renewed which is the first instance it happened in my company. And that got me worried.

When I checked my contracts, I already have 3 because I transferred to another department last year, and I found a lot of discrepancies. The first contract said it's temporary but I am not subjected to any probationary period. When I transferred to another department,  the contract I signed no longer has the word temporary in the title and it clearly stipulates that I am a permanent employee. After a couple of months, I moved back to the same department I was originally part of and signed another contract. This time, it says temporary again. When they renewed my contract this year, I was given another contract that says extension of my temporary employment contract. Is this legal? What should I do to secure my job here? Where should I go to fix this? Please help me. Thank you.

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:26:02 AM

I think that is something you have to talk to or negotiate with  your employer about it on any terms you are not comfortable with. It is too early to bring the issue to any authority.

This topic is closed